Wargaming Musings?

I'm a bit of a butterfly in terms of my attention and sticking to gaming projects long term isn't my strongest point. On the bright side, atleast I flit between the same things. Expect an ecclectic medley of Moderns, Dark Ages, Quar and Early Wild West, almost all in 28mm... (with some 1/48 moderns thrown in... )

Friday 2 November 2012

Gaming idea wish list, and musings of a sort

I've been thinking of 'future' gaming projects - things that keep catching my fancy, and so on...

*28mm Malayan Emergency - An evocative period -Counter insurgency, WW2 style. In some respects a colonial war (stalwart planters holding out in jungle outposts whilst the 'natives' are restless) but in many ways one of the first of the post-1945 bush fire wars. Game play it offers quite a few possibilities ranging from CTs (Communist Terrorists) attacking a planters bnungalow, through to high risk arrests, via ambushes and patrols by both sides.  I  had some of the Britannia Malayan War figures, but after Dave H died and the range was discontinued I (reluctantly) decided not to pursue the idea. I (paint) converted some of the figures for African games, and sold the rest. Then, the other month, I saw a lot of 20mm figures for use in the Malayan Emergency (Bare headed VC vs WW2 Chindits). I looked into the possibilities of doing the same, and whilst it is possible, there will be an awful lot of 'making do' and overlooking slight inaccuracies. Based on that, it looks like it might have to be 28mm - especially as the figures are back available, and currently represent the most complete and versatile range lol. The irony is not lost on me! Sides would be comparatively small ~ a platoon of CTs vs a couple of sections of commonwealth troops, a few vehicles and a planters bungalow.  Rules would be Force on Force, probably based of Ambush Valley

*15mm(?) Mortal Engines - With the success of my move to 20mm for my Moderns, It has made me wonder if I might not be better off doing Mortal Engines in 15mm rather tan my planned 28mm. The figures will allow a lot greater substitution (with only paint conversions), the vehicles would be easier to store, and I could get a better game in on the average size table. The downside is that there aren't so many 'steampunk' characters available in the scale, but this might be a nessecary sacrifice. The height of the traction fortress tower would then only come down to 25cm... Still ruddy huge, but a lot more achievable than about 1m! Rules would be GASLIGHT of some form...

*20mm Twilight 2000 (TW2K) - A somewhat inevitable move, given my interest in things Post Apocalypse, especially retro post apocalypse. 20mm simply because by this point I'll have lots of cold war types in the scale. I could equally do it in 28mm using some of my BritApoc stuff. It'll give me chance to use a few more different vehicles, as well s some of the cool post-apoc/zombie survivor figures out there. I'll probably also add in some Dark Future/Mad-max style battle cars too, just for the fun of it. Rules will probably be FoF for larger battles, and Skank for hero/skirmish battles.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

*20mm Russians in Afghanistan - I've not got too much interest in doing 'ultra-modern afghanistan', atleast not in terms of buying for it, but there are some seriously funky afghan models out there which I could quite fancy painting. By the time I've finished my cold war project, I'll have more Russians than one can shake an AK at, and the conclusion suddenly seems obvious. It'll also mean I have some Muslim types that I can contribute to club games. FoF for rules again...

*20mm Americans invading somewhere Latin American (Grenada? Panama? Imagineria?) during the 80's - It seems, looking back, that most of the movies of my Childhood/early teens had American Special forces doing dodgy stuff somewhere in Latin America or the Caribbean: Predator, Clear and Present Danger, Commando, Welcome to the Jungle, Romancing the Stone, etc etc etc.Again, between TW2K & CWGH I should have a fair few American troopers. Some of my NATO partisans should be usable as 'natives' and it wouldn't take much to add some soviet and American irregulars (maybe using WW2 & Vietnam cast offs, cubans, etc), and so on. Rules would be Force on Force (again!)

* 20mm(?) Winter of '79 - I'll already have cold war brits and assortment of irregulars. Throw in a couple of red phone boxes and a village pub and we are all go for the Winter of '79. FoF for rules....

1 comment: